Mau Loa Mama

Mau Loa Mama

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

30 Day Challenge- Day One


DAY ONE

*Your middle name, and how you feel about it*


Yep, Suzanne. I've never thought a whole lot about it, other than the occasional passing thought.  I still swear that I was named after Suzanne Harris, the mother of my best childhood friend. My mom says that's not so, that she just liked the name. Maybe that's true, but it wouldn't be so bad if I were named after her. She's a great woman, one of the strongest I know.

Anyhow, I've always kind of cherished my middle name. It's different. It's got character. You wouldn't expect it to follow "Allison". I often wonder what middle names other "Allison's" have, and if they are as cool as mine. :)

I used to think it sounded like an old lady name, but I've grown to love it, (or outwardly show my love for it).  It's just like those babies that you hear about whose names are Herbert or Ernie.(which by the way I'm partial to "Ernie" because that is my great uncle's name and he was an amazing man, and I miss him each and every day, especially when I give my kids "Eskimo kisses"...) But I digress..."Suzanne" is like the "older" baby names....the ones that don't really "fit" the baby, but they grow into later in life. Does that makes sense? Okay, picture Bertha as a baby. Now as an adult. Get it?

In my twentysomething's, (yes, I'm almost 30, don't remind me) I think I've grown into my name, even though Mitchell is now my legal middle name, according to Social Security anyways. Suzanne is now, and always will be, a part of me.

And I kinda like that.

1 comment:

  1. I get what you mean. I am an Anthony myself. I have used the name or a derivative of it over the years, Tony, Antone. You never know when your going to not want somone to know your name.

    I think we did good on my children's names. I have a Lucas Xavier ( ok he isnt " Mine" but he IS MINE if you know what I mean) and a Sylas Drake. Both strong names with personality and a since of self. Both names of leaders ,Xavier the Xmen (fictional but still a leader), and Sylas a "biblical"/ Historical leader whom would conquer lands and set the people free after.

    Some say " Whats in a name?" but when you think about it, Whats not in name. Name a kid Adolf Bin Ladin and think of the hardships the child will face.
    I personally would have liked tonotgiven my child a name for the first 6 months. Just so I could see what it felt like his name should be. I believe that a name can build a personality so we gave him a strong name, and trust me the personality has followed.


    Your right Allison. I never would have guessed Suzanne for your middle name, but looking back on who you were I can see where it fits you. It comes from Hebrew meaning Lilly possibly as far back as Egyptian for Lotus. Both flowers that take time to be fully appreciated, and both catch your eye and leave you in awe. You often had that effect on people.

    I Wish you luck withyour challenge. Ill be reading.

    ReplyDelete