Mau Loa Mama

Mau Loa Mama

Monday, October 25, 2010

FOOD is not the Enemy...my addiction to it is.

Yeah, you heard me right. I. AM. ADDICTED. TO. FOOD.

I use it as a way to cope with my emotions, to celebrate, to wallow in self-pity, to quash boredom...

You name it, I use food to deal with it.

I'm gonna get real honest here and say that I constantly think about food, what my next meal will be, and when the next celebration will be that I can go out and eat. Does that make me crazy? Only if 43% of America is too.

Here's some scary statistics on Emotional Eating:

  • One in every 100 women in the US is a victim of compulsive eating
  • 5-20% of all college-going women have eating disorders
  • One in three of all the dieters in the world develop compulsive eating disorders over the course of a few years
  • Americans are spending more than $150 million on products relating to weight loss. Interestingly, most of these products have no medical backing and little to show by way of proven results.
http://www.emotionaleatingsolution.com/compulsive-eating-statistics.html

Scary huh? Here are some questions to ask yourself if you too, think you are addicted to food:

  • Do you eat when you are not hungry or when you feel low or depressed?


  • Do you eat in secret or eat differently in front of others than when you’re alone?

  • Do you consume inordinate amounts of food and then purge later with vomiting or laxatives to get rid of the excess?

  • Are there foods that are harmful to you, but you eat them anyway?

  • Do you feel guilty after eating?
Is it sad that I answered yes to some of those questions? Yes. Is it better than I realize this, and am admitting it? Yes. But only if I do something about it. That means that whenever I look at a big fat cheeseburger, I need to see the heart attack.  When I see a bag of candy or a bar of chocolate, I need to see my children running ahead of me, and there I am collapsed on the ground. I realize that it's a bit of a stretch to put such graphic images in my head when looking at food, but I think it's necessary. Now, I'm not saying that you can never treat yourself or enjoy food. Food is meant to be enjoyed. However, you have to know how to choose the right foods to enjoy, and to do it with a happy heart. All the while knowing that you are consciously making the decision to turn down foods that are bad for you in exchange for a happy, healthy life. 

Like I said on Facebook, I'm doing this for me, but even more so for my family. I want to see my children get married and have children of their own. I want to sit in a rocking chair side-by-side with my husband when I'm old and grey. I want to live. If I continue on the path I've been on , my quality of life will suffer, and most likely my lifespan will too.

It's a battle. I will struggle every single day for the rest of my life. One day at time, right?

Thank you for allowing me to be completely open and honest, with no judgement. I leave you with this:

"The journey is the destination"

1 comment: