Mau Loa Mama

Mau Loa Mama

Thursday, March 28, 2013

The One with the Cinnamon Roll

"We must obey God rather than human beings!"
                                                 -Acts 5:29


This was the scripture that hit me in the face this morning during my devotional. Instead of doing what "society" tells me to do or be, I need to be doing what God tells me to do or be.  By giving into every craving or food that taunts me, I'm not only giving in to society's thought, "Just one can't hurt you!", but I'm also giving in to Satan.

Take the cinnamon roll. I went to pick up my daughter Ava at my mom's house, where she had spent the night, having a "cousin slumber party" with my niece Maeve.  My mom had made the girls some cinnamon rolls to go along with their eggs and bacon.  I passed those cinnamon rolls on my way in, and even started to pick one up.  I am a sucker for sweets. (And salty food, and diet soda, and well, food in general.) It wasn't on my own strength that I did grab that cinnamon roll (or two or three).  I even said aloud to myself, "No, you don't need that. Put that back." I'm glad no one else was around at that moment, or I would have probably felt really silly.  It helped though. To verbally tell myself no. But as I embark on this spiritual journey of losing weight, I am  fully aware that nothing I do from here on out will be of my own strength.  Why? I'm just not that strong.  My willpower, or self-control if you will, doesn't come from me, it comes from God.  I think humans has proven that we are weak, and can't make good decisions on our own.  That's the whole reason why Eve bit into that fruit.  She was weak.  (And maybe something got lost in translation, and it was a yummy cinnamon roll dangled in front of her.)

All I know is this...eating that cinnamon roll wouldn't have made me happy.  I would have been so mad at myself afterward, like I always am.  Instead, I'm proud of myself, if only for today.  After all, God promises grace... for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment